The recipe is pretty simple. The one thing I love about being able to make your own sauce is having the ability to add and subtract what you want it to be. If I’m ever in the mood for some something spicy, I’ll add chili powder or red pepper flakes to the sauce. And if I want to keep it simple and just have great flavoring, I use simple seasonings.
Oh, don’t forget to season your chicken before starting to cook. The seasonings on the chicken can be anything you want…just make sure it is for your tasting!
So for this recipe you just need to have:
- Chicken broth (1/2 cup)
- Heavy cream (1 cup)
- Tomatoes: (recipe typically calls for sun-dried tomatoes but I rarely find those so I use Roma tomatoes) – 1/2 cup
- Spinach (which I didn’t use for this recipe this time) – 1 cup
- Minced Garlic – depends on you
- Garlic Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Onion Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Italian seasoning – 1 teaspoon
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- Parmesan cheese (1/2 cup)
- 1 pound of Chicken breast
- Chili powder (optional)
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Parsley (garnish, optional)
Instructions for the recipe:
- Large Skillet: Add olive oil and cook the chicken for about 10 mins on each side, depending on the heat you cook on. Make sure that you cut into different sections of the chicken to allow it to be cooked properly and thoroughly.
- Once the chicken is done, take it out and set it to the side. At this point, your spinach and tomatoes should be ready. Everything beyond this point will go pretty fast, and you won’t have time to cut up the tomatoes.
- Add the tomatoes and spinach to the pan with some garlic to allow them to be sauteed a little. After allowing that to simmer for about 2-3mins, remove it from the pan.
- Add the heavy cream and chicken broth. Let it cook for about a 2 mins together before adding the rest of the ingredients. Then add garlic powder, Italian seasoning, onion powder and stir it all in. Let the seasonings simmer for about 2 mins with the rest of the ingredients. Now add the tomatoes and spinach and then add the parmesan cheese.
- After letting it cook for about 3 mins, add the chicken back to the pan.
As you process how to cook the sauce, I say taste the sauce to know what it tastes like. Add seasonings to your taste, and if you want it spicier, remember to add either chili powder or red pepper flakes to the sauce and not just the chicken.
The healthier option would be to put the chicken and sauce over some cauliflower rice and cook a veggie.
If you want the great taste from it and not the so healthier option, cook some pasta noodles to go with it. I would normally do angel hair with it.